Tuesday, January 20, 2015

A Nickname From Jesus

Have you ever had a nickname?

I've had some nicknames in my life, some good, some not-so-good, but usually they are a sign of affection.  I mean, who doesn't use Carrot Top as an affectionate term?

This week, I've had nicknames on my mind.  My Bible study group is studying the book of Mark and we're in Chapter 3, where the Bible lists the 12 disciples Jesus appointed.  In this small section of this  book of the Bible, there are 10 nicknames.  In just those few verses.

Simon - Peter
John - Sons Of Thunder (alone with his brother, James) - Boanerges - the brother of James
James - Sons of Thunder (along with his brother, John) - son of Zebedee - Boanerges
James - the son of Alphaeus
Simon - the Zealot
Judas Iscariot - who betrayed him(Jesus)

So, I got to thinking, "I wonder if Jesus has a nickname for me."

Now, Romans 8:1 says, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." and 1 Peter 2:9 says, "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light."
So, I know that Jesus loves me, He chose me,  and there is no condemnation for me, but....does that mean I don't sometimes drive Him a little nutty?

I love my children.  I cherish my children.  However, in those times that they drive me coo coo for cocoa puffs, I have given them nicknames (my husband, too).  Some of them you know (Mass Hysteria, Pandemonium, and Chaos); some of them you don't (Flower Pot, Booger Butt Jones, Edna, and Vernon).



When I make Jesus shake His head in exasperation, do you think He has a nickname for me?  Would it be Sally Stubborn?  Darlene Overly-Dramatic?  Tina Talks-A-Lot?  (My money's on Tina Talks-A-Lot, by the way)

But what nickname would I like to have?  What nickname do I pray to some day deserve?  What nickname do I hope Jesus one day gives me?  Franny Fisher of Men?  Charlene Cheerful Giver?  Greta Good and Faithful Servant? (Matt 4:19, 2 Cor 9:7, Matt 25:23).  Most days, I would settle for Lucy Listens.

What do you think your nickname from Jesus would be?


1 comment:

  1. You've given me some good food for thought. On a side note -- "Lucy Listens" is a total oxymoron!!

    ReplyDelete